Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Discuss: The Dude Dress

Crystal: Here is a picture of John Nixon, frontman for the local band The Abracadabras, in a Dude Dress.

I've seen him perform in one on a couple of occasions and cotton wedding dress it always bugs me. It makes his hips look big, and with the v-neck, it's just too feminine. I was reminded of this last night at Crosstown Station when some LA hippie named Trevor Hall performed in a similar get-up plus a Kaballah bracelet. (Why didn't I take a picture??)
Nadia: Ew. Where do they sell these man-tunics, you think? American Apparel? I would almost respect this dude if he just went full-on dress. Like some 80s pretty-in-pink number or something. With ruffles. Go big or go home.
Crystal: Obviously, it's the tight jeans that feminize this look so much. I just did a Google image search for men's tunic shirt,the fashionable results were pretty much all women, except for this guy:
Nadia: UM. I almost -- ALMOST! -- made fun of that 'chilled-out' tunic, as the description says, until I realized that that site also sells these: So, body con dress I would say, dudes: if you're dressing in a tunic for religious purposes, ombre dress by all means. If you're John Nixon, stop.
Jen: I'm a little late, but yes. Ew on the man-tunic. I'm not a fan of the plunging V-neck on menswear, either. I think International Male is also to blame. Sadly, I think its name has changed. Even more sadlyI can't find a pirate shirt or a frilly poet shirt on its site anymore. But it does have some sort of tunic item. (You have to click on it to see it -- weird coding.)
Nadia: Whoa. I think that's all there is to say about that. Unless...John Nixon? Feel free to defend yourself.

Read more about flapper style dress on top sites:

dressaday
dressupgirl
simplydresses